Saturday 3 November 2012

School reunions - heaven or hell?


“You must be mad,” said my husband when I told him I was going to a reunion at my old school. “I can’t think of anything worse.”

He had a point, of course. The idea of meeting up with pals from your youth more than a quarter of a century later is weird - but curiosity got the better of me. That, and a flurry of emails from friends saying they’d go if I did. One put it in a nutshell. "It's so not my sort of thing and I keep looking in the mirror and wondering if I can have some Botox or liposuction or just a designer brown paper bag to wear," she said. "But if I don't go to this one I probably never will, so it's now or never - and at least I don't need to bring a Zimmer frame yet."

My sentiments exactly, so I summoned up the courage and agreed to go. My husband refused point-blank to come with me. “I hated school so why on earth should I want to go to your school reunion?” he said crushingly.

As I trundled up the tree-lined drive in the rain I felt like a nervous 16-year-old arriving at the place for the first time.

I was worried I wouldn’t recognise anyone but actually, apart from a few grey hairs and the odd bald patch (only the men!), no one had changed much. It was a bit disconcerting to find that the new school head looked younger than the rest of us put together, and that loads of the tough-guy rugby players we all worshipped had turned into besotted dads, with toddlers trailing round their ankles. But apart from that, and despite my husband’s doubts, I’m glad I went.

5 comments:

  1. I did the same recently and was strangely impressed. The yard where we had elevenses of a fruit bun and not nearly cold enough milk was at least three times smaller than when I was there. Good experience, but won't go again. But, as a result am having a girlie get together in the road in which three of us lived, with another girl who has moved there recently. Ah, nostalgia, the prerogative of the ageing - me, not you, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Jackie. How lovely to meet up with old friends and get on so well that you have organised another get together. Have a lovely time!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like my experiences. And my husband went to the last one w/ me, altho I doubt he'll go ever again. He's in the same camp as your husband.

    I found you from BlogHer's NaBloPoMo links... will be coming back!
    Noel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noel. Thank you so much for stopping by at House With No Name. I'll look at for you via Blogher. NaBloPoMo is a great idea and I'm thrilled to take part!

      Delete
  3. Glad it went well for you.
    I always bottle it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...