Monday 14 May 2012

Olympic Flames - a novel about show jumping, London 2012 and old flames


My first novel took nine months to write and another year to publish. How times have changed. I’ve just written my first ebook and a week after the publishers gave it the thumbs-up it was available for download on Amazon, iTunes and more.

I loved every minute of writing Olympic Flames. A novella, it’s set in the world of showjumping (or jumping, as it’s called at the Olympics) and is the story of Mimi Carter, the youngest member of the British jumping team for London 2012. Mimi is a brilliant rider who’s had to claw her way to the top. She’s desperate to win an Olympic gold medal in front of her home crowd, but when an enigmatic old flame arrives back on the scene, can she put her feelings to one side and realise her dream?

That’s the essence of the story so I hope readers enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

I had a few childhood riding lessons when my family lived in Epsom (just down the road from the Derby racecourse in fact) and I was completely useless. But in the past couple of months I’ve become gripped by the equestrian world.  Did you know, for instance, that the three equestrian disciplines - jumping, dressage and eventing - are the only Olympic sports where men and women compete against each other on equal terms? That the Olympic equestrian events will take place in Greenwich Park, right next to the elegant stone façade of the National Maritime Museum? And that the temporary stables will be home to 200 horses for the duration of the Olympics?  

I never thought I’d say this but I’ve become so engrossed that I can’t wait to see the Olympic equestrian events on TV. At this rate I’m going to end up booking my first riding lesson in years…

Olympic Flames by Emma Lee-Potter (Endeavour Press, £1.99)

8 comments:

  1. I think this book could do very well in the coming months. I am impressed by your e publishing too. In a way I don't want a lot of hassle when I publish and am not so sure about traditional routes for me. Must talk to you about this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. That's really kind of you. It has been quite a learning curve but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Let's catch up at an Ox lunch.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Liz. Now it's time to write the next! x

      Delete
  3. Go Emma - and when is the next book coming out. Hint hint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's v v kind, Catherine/Kate. Please will you keep going on at me to finish it? And I can't wait to read Cox! A must read for July 5.

      Delete
  4. Well done...it has winged its way wirelessly to me and is waiting for me to grab a moment to myself to read. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kate. Let me know what you think!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...